Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Is Ramadan for me??

ok, I feel so left out this Ramadan. I know how blessed this month is and a person can recieve so many blessings but I feel so left out. I am an insulin dependent diabetic, so fasting for me with out a little something to go along with the 4 or 5 shots I take a day is not happening. Believe me I have tried and gotten pretty sick. But my husband and our oldest son are fasting, Alhamdulilah. The sisters I work with are fasting. The sisters at the masjid are fasting. But me NOT FASTING! It is so frustrating to me. I feel seperated from my family and friends. I feel guilty during lunch at work as I take my shot and eat my lunch. I let my blood sugar level fall too low on the weekends when I'm home with my family cuz I hate to eat in front of them. I know, I know, I know Allah does not want me to get sick, He does not want me to fast if it's a hardship. My husband tells, my friends tell me. I know I can feed the poor or another fasting person instead. But it just doesn't seem the same. I love Allah so much and I want to show it during the month of Ramadan just like every other Muslim. I want to draw closer to Allah too. It makes my cry sometimes, that I can't show my love for Allah like everyone else. The other day at work, a sister asked me"how your fast? oh that's right your not fasting, well how's eating?" I know she was just joking but I still felt so bad, almost guilty.

But Alhumdulilah, I have made some other changes this Ramadan, and I pray that Allah is pleased with them. I have added Sunnah prayers to my life, I have started reading the Quran in the morning after Fajr, I am taking Quran classes with the kiddies during Sunday schoo at the Masjidl! ( I know, but I had to start some where;-) I am working with the sisters at the Masjid for the sake of Allah, more and more. I really do enjoy those things. I have learned this month that I can worship Allah in every thing I do, think and say and ENJOY IT! Wow, maybe I'm not so left out after All.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As'salamu alaikum my dear.

I understand your concerns. And I am sure Allah is happy with you now :) Because you are crying to do something good for Him, and you can't. How happy you think He is now?

Did you know. If you intended to fast entire Ramadan, but for some reason you couldn't because of sickness..etc. You are written the entire month as if you fasted. Do you see the merciful God we have?

Okay. So fasting in essence is training for self. You discipline yourself from doing haraam (otherwise your fast isn't valid)

So I suggest you fill in the training. For example prevent yourself from (backbitting, lying, excessively talking to men, doing bad deeds during the day). Surely 30 days of that will allow you to continue to do so after Ramadan.

Quran/praying/duaa are acts of worship to make you closer to Allah. It's a test within itself that you can't fast. But there is so much more to get closer to Allah with.

And who knows? Poor us who are capable of fasting might not get as much reward?

Like a person who doesn't know how to read the quran/vs. an Arab as myself. The non-arabic speaking person might get more reward than me. Because it's a struggle.

Be happy my dear :) Allah loves you because you even realize that Ramadan is here. Do you know how many Muslims for pass this holy month without a decent prayer?

subhanAllah you are among the lucky. Alhumdulilah.

Love
Organic

Hijabi Apprentice said...

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahamtullahi wa Barakatuhu,

My Dear Sister,

You and I have talked about this and I do feel your pain (remember my tantrum when I couldn't fast or pray ;).

Organic Muslimah has really said it all (and eloquently so as usual :).

There are so many opportunities for you to draw closer to Allah and gain good rewards during this blessed month so know that you are sharing in the rewards with everyone else.

Love you,

ha

Naturally Muslimah said...

Walaikum Salam,

Organic you are such a sweetheart! Thank you for you kind words. and I did not know that information about making the intention to fast. Alhamdulilah you teach me something everyday!!!

Ma salaamah
Naturally

Naturally Muslimah said...

Walaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu, sisters hijabi and zaynab!

thank you for the words of encouragement and I really appreciate it. Sometimes I think I know these things but I forget and need a reminder. I am so blessed to have come to this bloggers world and meet so many intelligent and compasionate sisters. Alhamdulillah!

Zaynab congrats on your new baby!

Ma salaamah
Naturally